Wednesday 1 August 2018

How Maui Tamed The Sun

Play Summary - Term 3 Weeks 1-2


For the next two weeks you are working in groups to practise and perform
a play. This is using our oral language and reading skills in literacy. Our key
competency focus is participating and contributing.


For writing your task is to summarise the main events in your play in three
paragraphs. You must plan your writing first but it is up to you how you do
your planning.  You must also write a fourth paragraph about your experience
of practising and performing your play.

Yr 6
I am learning to organise my text into paragraphs which begin with a main idea and contain
supporting information/detail.
I am learning to make links across paragraphs.
I am learning to use basic punctuation accurately.
I am learning to use dialogue punctuation accurately.


Yr 7
I am learning to use a range of different planning styles.
I am learning to plan my writing to suit the purpose of my writing.
I am learning to organise my ideas into paragraphs where the ideas are clearly related and

where there are links within and between paragraphs.
I am learning to use basic punctuation accurately in my writing.
I am learning to use complex punctuation to enhance my writing e.g. colons : and semi-colons ; ,
and parentheses ().


Success Criteria
I will be successful when I can/have
-summarised the play in three paragraphs
-made links across my paragraphs
-used some basic and complex punctuation correctly (speech marks).
Once you have finished your writing highlight these success criteria green if you have met them
and can show them in your work. Highlight green in your work where you have met these
success criteria.


                              \ Maui And The Sun /

In the start of this story there was a demigod named Maui. Maui’s brothers would sit around a
fire at night and complain about the short days. Maui’s brothers complained about : The day
being to short to go fishing, not being able to hunt for food in the dark, and the day being to
short to do chores. One day Maui said to his brothers I can tame the sun.


In the second part of this story Maui talked to his family and friends, Friends and family I am
going to tame the sun, please can you help collect flax for me to make ropes with”. Finally
Maui and the villagers had lots of flax. They all sat down and started weaving the flax into ropes.
Maui said a magical karakia to make the ropes very strong. Then Maui walked with his brothers
to the place where the sun rose.


In the third part of the story Maui arrived at the place where the sun rose and hid. When the sun
rose Maui's brothers threw the net over the sun and caught it but Maui knew the net would not
hold the sun so he hit its nose with the magic jawbone. Finally the sun gave up and said he
would go slowly through the sky for the rest of its life and that is how Maui slowed the sun.


When my group did the play I was the Narrator and we did -
                           How Maui Tamed The Sun}
I liked the props our team brought (I liked the jawbone the best). We all had something to bring
or to do and our play went quite well. Next time I would like to not do the play with scripts but
I think I should still stay with the script and start putting on voices and maybe learn to stay still.
As a team most of the time we argued about what to do but we got there in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.